Friday, July 24, 2009

Local Flavor: Honu Bags

We first met the Honu Bag ladies early in the farmer's market season downtown at the Haymarket. Captivated by their cause, their product and their spirit, we knew we had to do our part in sharing their gospel. And we believe once you hear it, you will be converted...

... go into any grocery store, retail or consignment shop and you'll likely find these 'buy it for $1, made in China' bags that [to be honest] we're not quite sure what they're made out of. Do you? We have researchers backing up on our claim that these non-tare bags are actually doing more damage than the billions of plastic bags that end up in our landfills and oceans. After the "reusable craze" happened 5 years back a lot of folks went out to every retail store they shop at and bought dozen of them. Within the last few years the second hand stores have seen truckloads of these "promotion tools" in their donation piles. Those bags finally end up in local landfills, because those second hand stores don't know what to do with them. Sure they sell a few, but thousands are coming in each week. How can they keep up? Is there a better way, we must ask ourselves...

Yes, take faith in the mission Honu Bags has taken on! "We make reusable grocery bags out of recycled t-shirts. Our goal is to help get some of the plastic out of the environment. The bags are named after the Hawaiian word for sea turtle: 'Honu". We chose this name because of the huge dead zones in the oceans caused by plastic. It's also a play on words: "A honu (pronounce Hoe-new) bag for a honu ("whole new") world. We wanted to create a bag that works as well as a plastic bag but is not harmful to the environment. They hold more, they are stronger, you can throw them over your shoulder and they are FUN! They are better than the "cloth" bags you buy from the stores because they are made right here in Lincoln and they can be thrown in the washing machine over and over." Quoted from the bag ladies themselves.

It's true, its "a whole new" way of approaching global warming. But what really sold us on this product was the process. We all have that one really great t-shirt we love. Maybe it gets too small or starts to fade a bit. You then send it to the fine folks who resale it. It ends up in the hands of creators and co-owners of Honu Bags, Karen and Paula, who then turn it into a bag. This bag can then be reused for anything. It can go on forever. How great is that!

Honu Bags started on a whim that Karen had. [And according to Paula, she has a lot of them.] But we're so glad they followed this whim straight to their basement sewing machine. These are a couple of ordinary women who have been friends for over 30 years, saying 'lets do this and impact change.' It's always the "ordinary ones" you have to watch for!

Honu Bags is all about impacting this world in a positive way and we at Groovy Guru Granola join hands in their mission. We hope you will do the same. You can find both Karen and Paula at the Haymarket Farmer's Market in Lincoln, Nebraska through October speaking and living out their gospel of Huno Bag living. During and off season you can also buy Huno Bags at Open Harvest at 1618 South Street in Lincoln, Nebraska. Or visit Honu Bags off shore at: www.ahonubag.webs.com.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better.
It's not -" Dr. Seuss


Note: Honu Bags had full knowledge of this article and is in support of it. Public comments welcomed!

25 comments:

  1. Karen & Paula,

    We did it, ladies! I hope this 'local flavor' brings a little sunshine to your cause.

    We loved the photos you shared with us and BRAVO on the website.

    Only good things are ahead for Huno Bags!

    Kat
    Owner & Creator
    www.groovygurugranola.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea! What a way to chalk it up to great old mother earth. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen this idea somewhere before, but its cool what you are trying to do. Best luck trying this into a business.

    Mona from CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karen and Paula! I bought a bag from you guys 3 weeks ago and we talked about how cool they were. I had the little dog that you all loved! Remember me? If not, its ok, but I just wanted to congradulate you guys on the article. Very cool and keep making those bags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this article, I was wondering if you ladies had ever thought of being a vendor at the Old Market Farmer's Market.

    I think you'd find that we are very pro-eco living. Think it over and let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun article! I was so excited to get the email from the Gurus about this local flavor stuff. So neat what you are doing here. I love reading about all else local business, trying to make it.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's local. It's handmade. You can't get any better than that!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a real honor getting to know girls. I wish you much success and a lifetime of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy from Norfolk, NEJuly 25, 2009 at 6:51 AM

    You girls give hope to ordinary folk everywhere. Thank you for the encouragement to follow those dreams that we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really don't get the concept. You're still making a profit off of waste. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steven, of course you don't get it. This totally rocks out! People like Steven are stupid. Keep your opinions to yourself.

    Shauna from Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat and Liz, Thanks so much for this wonderful article, your words of encouragement and support. Especially thanks for getting the word about Honu Bags out! It's all about the bags. Peace, Paula and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. My girlfriend is from Nebraska, and loved learning about this local company that is so public and still doing things right. Best of luck to Honu Bags and great job Gurus for letting the world know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would know this author's handywork anywhere! Great job Katie on the writing and many blessings to everyone involved at both Groovy Guru Granola and Honu Bags.

    Namesta.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was so excited to hear about these Local Flavor (as they call them) because I lived in Lincoln through college and my favorite activity was going to the Haymarket every week. I can't wait to hear about more products and business that have started up since I left Lincoln. It's a very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the name. The cause is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of your customers. In fact I bought two. I just LOVE them! I use them all the time for school. They are very great going to class to class.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to make a quite comment, that I bought a bag from you guys like 2 weeks ago and it broke. The bottom seam completely tore after I put my normal purse items in it. I was able to fix it but you might want to use stronger thread.

    But I do love the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I bought a bag from Open Harvest last year and it's great. I'm a librarian so I always have books with me. It's great to take to work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this blog! What a great way to promote local stuff. Kudos to Groovy Guru Granola for sharing the love. I've been a fan for awhile now and love the mission.

    To Honu Bags: What a great product that (we hope) raises people's awareness to what plastic does to our sea life and the world at large.

    God bless both companies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My daughter use to make these tote bags and purses out of old jeans for school. I had to send this article to her. It just brought me back to when she still lived at home. Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. For Father's Day this year, two of our sons gave me the exact same T-shirt, but one was a size too big. Instead of returning it, I had the Bag Ladies make it into a Honu Bag. I love it, use it all the time, and best of all, I retain my son's gift. (and do a little to help the planet in the process!) How cool is that? Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great article. I love local stuff and will be sure to stop by your booth at the Haymarket next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a great product. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete