Thursday, September 10, 2009

Local Flavor: PJ's Baby Cakes

There’s been a consistent theme in our Local Flavor that was brought to our attention recently—women who have turned their passion into businesses that continue to bring inspiration into their lives and those around them. Amanda of PJ’s Baby Cakes is one of those such women.

PJ’s Baby Cakes is a cupcake business located in Waverly, Nebraska but is more often found in Lincoln. Amanda, owner of PJ's Baby Cakes, hosts a variety of flavors ranging from traditional vanilla to flavors matching orange-chocolate candies and root beer floats.

Like many new businesses, PJ’s Baby Cakes came out of lost—a lost of a job early this year. According to Amanda her first thoughts after loosing her 9-to-5 was “finally I can start a bakery.” Highly enthusiastic attitude quickly took a nose dive into a slump that lasted over a month until her loving husband and strongest support, Zac, encouraged her off the sofa and into the kitchen.

The name “PJ’s” comes from little Patrick John, the son of Amanda and Zac, who often tags along on cupcake deliveries and at the Haymarket Farmer’s Market. The business began as “made to order specialty cupcakes” and continues to be that today, but as mentioned if around the Lincoln (Nebraska) area on any seasonal-Saturday you’ll be able to meet and experience the “Cupcake Goddess” yourself and her delights.

Cupcakes are made fresh according to order and come in a variety of cake and icing flavors with fun decorations and even fondant for special orders.

Amanda would like to stress one thing and that is “focusing on cupcakes.” She is dedicated to providing the customer with the “perfect cupcake.”

For more information either go to
www.pjsbabycakes.com or call 402-786-2249. And for a very limited time PJ’s Baby Cakes can be found every Saturday at the famous Haymarket Farmer’s Market in Lincoln, Nebraska.




Note: PJ’s Baby Cakes has full knowledge of this article and is in support of it. Public comment welcomed!

18 comments:

  1. Great cupcakes! I buy one at least a month at the farmer's market downtown. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes are great. Although I don't know why you just don't sell the frosting?! I know I'd buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did someone just say cupcakes! What agreat idea! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda (& Zac),

    A little late in my comment, I see...

    It's been so much fun to be able to be with you this season and tasting first hand what yummy cupcakes you have. I can honestly say, we here at the Guru Family are your number one fans and I will continue to share the "goddess" name with whomever is in need of a little sweetness in their life.

    May this article shine light on your cause. Only good lays ahead.

    Katie-Kat
    Owner & Creator
    www.groovygurugranola.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really been enjoying this Local Flavor. I don't live in Lincoln, but raised my daughter there throughout her schooling, and it's wonderful to keep in touch with the city through this blog.

    Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited about this! I just got off work and plan to be at the market for some cupcakes. My kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the icing, but the cakes just taste like regular old box mix. You have a real winning with this icing though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I love your lemon cupcakes. They are so good! I don't know what we'll do without the farmer's market and our weekly fix. I guess we'll just have to stock the freezer before market season ends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just tried your cupcakes for the first time this morning and they remind me of my mom. She would make cupcakes for every birthday grwoing up. Thanks for bringing back really good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me and my kid can by today and had the s'more cake you all had. It was good, but I think you should add peanut butter to it. I don't know, just a thought. My kid really liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where I grow up we had a place called the Cupcake Shop and they had this "rainbow" cupcake that tasted like lifesavers candies. I was wondering if you had anything like that? I miss home so much and living in Seward, I could come to Lincoln for them if you had something like that.

    Great article btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becca from Salt Lake City, UtahSeptember 13, 2009 at 2:29 PM

    Great article. I kinda came upon this website by mistake, but have fell in love with the local flavor.

    The cupcakes sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I own a small catering company here in Dallas and it warms my heart to see other women getting out there and doing what we do best... rule the world!

    Hugs and Kisses baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love cupcakes. I don't live in Nebraska, but what a cool article! Love the idea of women doing their th-ang!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you make gluten-free bake goods at all? The article didn't say.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Makes me want to jump on a plane and get me some cupcakes! Best of luck in business. I own a real estate company and business has been the best adventure of my life. I pray the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've eaten your cupcakes. I've been to your website a dozen times, but it is so nice to hear the real story behind the cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just am totally in love with your blueberry cupcakes! I had my first early in the summer and can't get enough. Never can touch them.

    ReplyDelete