Friday, August 7, 2009

Local Flavor: Toffee by Suzanne

When we talk 'farmer's market' this is who we talk about and why we continue to urge the public to go to farmer's markets near them and seek these local gems. We met Sue, creator and owner of Toffee by Suzanne at the Haymarket Farmer's Market (in Lincoln, Nebraska) this season and fell in-love with the very cool, down to earth attitude she brought to business.

Toffee by Suzanne had us at 'chocolate' -- dear friends of our very own Katie-Kat will tell you that if chocolate is in the house, she'll bring the house down to find it. She also knows quality, so when she brought samples of this unknown toffee to our kitchen for a team sampling we knew it had to be special. Based on the flavor and it's amazing texture this toffee is Lincoln's very own mouth-watering secret!

When most folk think toffee, they think either holidays or some checkout line counterfeit. But meet Sue, the woman this crunchy creation is named, and you will never think of toffee without her name on that label again. She took something done only for friends and family and decided it was worth a shot. That to us is what 'local flavor' is all about. Ordinary people creating the extraordinary.

They say "never quit your day job" and you'll still find Sue working as a professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln by day. She continues to give back to her community by working with Families Inspiring Families and Planned Parenthood. So this Nebraska girl who moved and came back to Nebraska for love is giving of herself and her product shows that same attention as does the organizations she's apart of, her friends and her family.

Toffee by Suzanne can be found at the Historic Haymarket Farmer's Market for a limited time -- Aug. 8th and 15th, Sep. 5th and 19th and Oct. 3rd. This killer toffee can be found year-round at the downtown From Nebraska Gift Store and online at sweetsbysuzanne.com.

Note: Toffee by Suzanne had full knowledge of this article and is in support of it. Public comments welcomed!

25 comments:

  1. Sue,

    You will be forever one of the best memories I will remember from this season. Meeting you and John has confirmed my reasons for toughing through the farmer's markets

    May this article shine light on you cause. Keep us updated on the website.

    Only good things are ahead for Toffee by Suzanne!

    Kat
    Owner & Creator
    www.groovygurugranola.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love toffee! I will so see you at the Haymarket tomorrow. The article sees you'll be there, so I'll trick the candy down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Lincoln had a toffee maker. Great article. Keep bringing them, because we need to know about these artisans living in Nebraska.

    Best of luck Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a candy maker in Louisville, KY and own my own shop for 12 years. Suzanne, you be careful, because that's exactly how I got started. I made some taffy for friends who then got me into local craft fairs. I was the only man there at the time, but it soon caught on and I opened shop in 1991. It was one of the great adventures of my life.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great article from the Gurus! Keep it up ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome Suz ! You are famous, but we already knew that !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a 1/2 pound toffee this morning and its already gone! Great stuff. I'll be back for more next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a bag of granola and read the little insert, found this article and realized that I had sampled this same toffee this morning. It sounds so good I should have bought one. Maybe next week.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Groovy article Groovy Gurus! And great talent in candy making. Best luck in all of life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning world!

    I wondered, can this toffee be shipped?

    Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jillian from Lincoln, NEAugust 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM

    I had used the candy on top of homemade ice cream. It totally rocks! I'll be by on the 15th for another 1/2 pound.

    You should really get this stuff out there more. Very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this toffee! Never soft, always crunchy and deelish... Thanks for the article. Best of Luck, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article! I love the idea of going for your dreams while still working in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab Toffee! I enjoyed it very much. Much success to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a huge toffee lover! I can't cook for my life, so don't even think I would make the stuff. I'll be at the market to check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really great toffee, Sue! I took it on a trip to California and it never melted. I don't know how you do it. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes my mouth water just with the picture! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm from Texas and just moved back a few months ago. Anyway, here in TX we know toffee as more of a brittle than a chocolate covered candy. With that said, I wouldn't mind trying me soon of this Nebraska grown stuff. I've visited Nebraska twice in my life and have found the people there quite nice. If you ever get to the point of shipping this toffee, ask to have another article written because I'll be reading and waiting.

    As they say here, "Ride saddles high." (Means good luck)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marcy Miller from Boston, MassAugust 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

    I'm confused. Can I order through your website? I went in and nothing is up. Is this still in the start-up phase?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Noah from Bentford, CTAugust 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

    I see there's many questions on this comment board, so I'll add another. Is there just one flavor of toffee? Or many?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great product. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its crunchy, nutty, and buttery. It's so yummy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the fabulous comments and words of encouragement - MOST AWESOME!

    I have only one flavor of toffee and it can be shipped anywhere - just email me at toffeebysuzanne@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete